The Battle of St. Germanus of Auxerre

As any fule kno, the 31st of July is that particular saints Day, so that was the name we (myself and oppo Andy T) chose to give our inaugural battle of Maurice sort-of Succession Wars campaign between the forces of Hesse and the Catholic majesty of France. My first game in about 20 months against a human opponent! We both selected a 100 point army, using the guidelines in the book and set up the table in a mutually acceptable manner. 
My army. Most of the infantry were subsequently Broken and will return as Conscript level units. The National Characteristics make things interesting. Lethal Volleys are a must have and the Oblique Order made manoeuvring my infantry a bit easier. 

An overview of the table. Hesse to the left, France to the right. The herd of cows in the middle were fair game. 
My front line of infantry consisted of my Grenadiers as Elite and the other Trained level units. 
The artillery, with their Professional Train found the hill easy going. The Chasseurs de Fischer on the right flank never got into the game. Nor did the Scottish line infantry (Royal Ecossais). 
The main battle lines closed. There was an inconclusive cavalry skirmish on my left flank where the enemy cavalry were initially repulsed before they rode with Stirrups In and broke my cavalry. 
The firefights started to take their toll and the Disrupt markets started to rack up. The Grenadiers sent the enemy to their front packing, which the high water mark of my success, but then things started to fall apart. At which point I offered my sword, which was graciously accepted. After that there was much chat and discussion of the rules, which we were slow to remember at the start. However, after a few turns, things started to flow more smoothly. We totted up the Epic Points and rolled for how broken units were returned. One of Andy's Notables had proven himself very useful in the cavalry skirmish and he wanted to keep him, however it seemed that this particular gentleman had had his fill of the whiff of grapeshot and he Retired. I look forward to the next game...
Next up will be the continuation of the Khemed Invasion campaign, which I want to finish this holiday. 
Thanks for looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Khemed campaign, Ride of the Abrams AAR

Skirmish on the edge of Khemikhal

Crisis Point- forces and Day One